Made in the Shade Beer Festival
June 20, 2009
The beers are listed in order of tasting, so the effect of increasing concentrations of EtOH can be taken into account.
1. Coopers Lager, ABV 5.0%, pretty light, would be good if it were really hot, but rather tasteless.
2. Barrio Razzbery. The Magistra Scientia really liked this one, it was good, not too sweet.
3. Baltika Dark Lager, ABV 5.6%, a very nice dark lager, flavorful without being too heavy.
4. Moosehead Lager, more of a palate cleanser than anything else. I really do just buy this when it's on sale.
5. Sam Adams Hardcore cider, light and refreshing, with just a little bit of tartness.
6. Spaten Optimator, a double bock, ABV 7.2%. One of my favorites.
7. Warsteiner, German pilsener, ABV 4.8%. Another favorite of mine.
8. Old World Brewery Nitro Blonde. Truly nasty, I don't know whether I had a bad batch or it was just really terrible. I actually poured this on the ground.
9. Carlsberg, Danish pale lager, 5% ABV.
I stopped giving ratings at this point, anything that wasn't awful tended to taste pretty good.
10. Golden Pheasant, Slovak pilsener. Crisp is the best word to describe it.
11. Barrio Copperhead
12. Sam Adams Hardcore
13. Sam Adams Blackberry Wheat
14. Gordon Biersch Marzen
15. Big Sky Summer Honey
16. Pyramid Thunderhead
17. Fox Barrel Pear Cider
18. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, very strong vanilla flavor.
19. Oak Creek King Crimson
20. Fox Barrel Apple Cider